Due to prolong war the number of soldiers and officers were increased. As a result number of Divs/Bdes/RHQs/Training schools also incresed. Therfore inadequacy of present storing facilities for the goods acquired by the Army was directly felt.
As a solution to this, a one acre three roots and twenty three and a half perch land and its buildings belonged to Ceylon Tobacco Cooperation located adjoining Rammuthugala Rajasinghe Vidyalaya was acquired by the Army on 25 February 1987 as a Sub Depot under the BOD (PNG).
Then Lt(QM) S Narangoda SLAOC served as first Officer Commanding. Soldiers were nominated from the BOD once in two weeks for its security duties. The Clothing Depot was under command to BOD (PNG) from 25 February 1987 to 31 June 1992.
After the establishment of the Base Ordnance Depot Maradana on 1 July 1992, Army Clothing Depot - Kadawatha responsibilities vested again under the Base Ordnance Depot till 23 December 2009. According to the Army Routine Order No: ARO/109/2009-G/SD/51/4 dated 24 December 2009, Army Clothing Depot was raised with a strength of 5 x 90 soldiers as a self accounting unit with effect from 18 September 2009. Its first Commandant was then Major JS Weerakoon AATO and under him 3 Officers, 13 SNCOs , 54 ORs were served.
Thereafter, a land belonged to the Veyangoda Textiles Mills Company (Veytex) was acquired by the Army and after renovated the Army Clothing Depot was shifted from Rammuthugala to Veyangoda. The Army Clothing Depot (Veyangoda) commence its function on 30 March 2011. The present Commandant of the Army Clothing Depot is Lt Col CS Dissanayake ato SLAOC. It now consists of 3 officers, 8 SNCOs and 72 ORs and it cater for 107 Army establishments.
Past Officer Commanding Clothing Depot and Commandant of the Army Clothing Depot since its inception at Rammuthugala till date is mentioned below.
Officer Commanding Clothing Depot
|1.||Capt (QM) S Narangoda||15.07.1991||14.03.1992|
|2.||Capt (QM) B Chandradasa||14.03.1992||10.05.1992|
|3.||Capt (QM) S Narangoda||10.05.1992||25.11.1992|
|4.||Maj L M S Chandrasekara||25.11.1992||21.03.1995|
|5.||Capt BSG Nanayakkara||21.03.1995||03.08.1999|
|6.||Maj GGD Gunasekara||03.08.1999||20.02.2001|
|7.||Maj HMUB Herath RSP AATO Lsc||20.02.2001||18.05.2001|
|8.||Maj SHM Thilakarathna AATO||18.05.2001||22.04.2002|
|9.||Maj SMAK Wanasinghe ato||22.04.2002||03.07.2002|
|10.||Maj SHM Thilakaratne AATO||03.07.2002||14.07.2003|
|11.||Maj LK Kottearachchi Lsc||17.07.2003||02.09.2004|
|12.||Maj SMWBN Thalagahawatta ato||02.09.2004||15.06.2005|
|13.||Maj AS Waduge RSP||15.06.2005||02.07.2008|
|14.||Maj NAWP Perera ato||02.07.2008||21.10.2009|
|15.||Maj JS Weerakoon AATO||21.10.2009||24.12.2009|
Commandants of ACD
|1.||Maj JS Weerakoon AATO||24.12.2009||11.04.2010|
|2.||Lt Col JS Weerakoon AATO||11.04.2010||10.04.2012|
|3.||Maj GUS De S Gunawardena||10.04.2012||01.11.2012|
|4.||Lt Col GUS De S Gunawardena||01.11.2012||07.04.2014|
|5.||Lt Col G K I Vithanachchi ato||07.04.2014||06.08.2014|
|6.||Lt Col CS Dissanayake ato||06.08.2014||13.01.2016|
|7.||Lt Col RAPAB Dissanayake AATO||13.01.2016||To Date|
Role and Tasks of Army Clothing Depot
To provide effective and efficient Ord supply of all types of Clothing, Welfare & Sports items to all dependent Ord estbs/local units whilst ensuring responsibility/ accountability and professional/modern technological /user friendly approach in all Ord functions.
- Maintenance and bi-annual update of database of aval tps, and applicable scales, staff tables relevant to Ord supply of all types of Clothing, Welfare and Sports items to all dependent Ord estbs/ local units.
- Provision, receipt, inspection, storage, accounting, maintenance, fwd delivery/ issue of all types of Clothing items to dependent Ord estbs/ local units as per relevant scales/ DOS instr and also ensure smooth functioning of Automated Material Management System.
- Vetting and scrutinizing of all types of Clothing, Welfare & Sports items received both from local & overseas to ensure acceptable quality standards and productive Ord supply system.
- Holding/safe custody of approved samples/specs of relevant Clothing, Welfare & Sports items for references as required by AHQ/ TECs and Scrutinizing teams.
- Ensure Proper accounting & maintenance of sufficient stock reserves of all types of Clothing, Welfare & Sports items as directed by Dte of Ord Svcs, other relevant Dtes.
- Publication/updating of the price index for all types of Clothing items annually.
- Conduct of special to Arm trg incl on the job trg for all Ord functions of Clothing items for all Ord personnel under command to ensure high level of technical competence among them.