Corps Of Engineer Services

Initiate & Complete

9th Engineer Services Regiment(Vol)

As per the ARO 59/2008 dated 15 October 2008, the 9 (V) Engineer Services Regiment was raised with effect from 01 November 2008. The 9 (V) Engineer Services Regiment was officially established on 16 February 2009, with 10 Militarized Officers and 850 Other Ranks on 16 February 2009 in a Storehouse at Medawatta, Matara under Maj GPJP Perera ESR, who was appointed as the first Staff Officer II. Lt(QM) HAM Jayasekara ESR was appointed as the first Quarter Master. The appointments of Adjutant and the RSM remained vacant. For administrative purposes WOII Karunadasa RDNP was appointed as the overlooking RSM. Later Capt IL Senarath CES was appointed as the first Adjutant and WOI DK Diunagala was appointed as the Regimental Sergeant Major. Major KS Mohan Kumar CES assumed duties as the first Commanding Officer of the 9 (V) Engineer Services Regiment on 15 March 2009.

Thereafter, on 17 March 2009, the Regiment was relocated at Nagarawewa, Hambantota in Buildings that belonged to the Mahaveli Development Project and the Regiment directly contributed to the construction of Mahinda Rajapaksa International Cricket Ground in Sooriyawewa.

On 09 August 2009 the 9 (V) ESR was relocated at Alankulama, Tunukkai under the HQ 65 Division in order to take part in development activities in Northern Province under the “Uturu Wasanthaya” development programme launched by the government.

Again, on 06 November 2010, the Unit was relocated at Kurunegala Junction, Anuradhapura in order to commence the constructions of the "Sanda Hiru Seya" Stupa.

Presently the Regiment is commanded by Lt Col JKMRK Ranasinghe CES. The present approved Unit Establishment is 35 Officers and 1233 Other Ranks.