1. Trade and Commerce in Kilinochchi area has been disturbed for a prolong period. Most of trade committees were ill functional. However, with the dawn of peace and harmony trade has developed at a considerable pace. Development of road communication and other infrastructure facilities, financial assistance by banks and other financial agencies has brought fast moving trade in the rea.Agriculture products, Fisheries industry, minor industry and cottage industry are moving strength to strength day by day
2. Assist all available agencies to develop the Trade and Commerce in Kilinochchi area.
3. Objectives of this project are as follows:
a) Assist trade committees to establish proper systems in line with Southern areas.
b) Identify disturbed areas and exchange information with relevant agencies.
c. Educate the trading community about bank loans and assistance available by other financial agencies and Coordinate matters pertaining to those affairs.
d. Introduce latest technologies with the help of government agencies and large scale business community in the South.
4. Trade Organizations Kilinochchi.
|01||Chamber of commerce and agriculture – kilinochchi||33|
|02||Union of profit makers – 1kilinochchi||320|
|03||Trade development union – kilinochchi||339|
5. Programmes Conducted.
a. Awareness programmes were conducted to introduce the Hadabima Authority of Sri Lanka and its functions, benefits to local trading community.
10 Dec 2012 - Thunukkai.
11 Dec 2012 - Kilinochchi.
11 Dec 2012 - Pooneryn.
(2) No of Participants. - 121.
(a) Decent price for their harvest.
(b) Distribute farming equipment.
(c) Distribute better quality seeds.
(d) Educate on new technology, best practices and different crops for different seasons.
(4) Awareness Programme at Pooneryn.
(5) Awareness Programme at Thunukkai.
(6) Awareness Programme at Kilinochchi.
b. Awareness Programmes Conducted by the Banks.
(1)Following awareness programmes were coordinated.
|S/N||Bank||Date||No of participants||Venue|
|1||Commercial bank||10 Jan 2013||157||571 Brigade|
|2||Rural development bank||15 Jan 2013||82||662 Brigade|
|3||National savings bank||24 Jan 2013||60||574 Brigade|
|4||Bank of Ceylon||29 Jan 2013||55||661 Brigade|
|5||Commercial bank||19 Feb 2013||45||571 Brigade|
(2) Awareness Programme by Commercial Bank.
(3) Awareness Programme by Rural Development Bank.
(4) Awareness Programme by National Savings Bank.
(5) Awareness Programme by Bank of Ceylon.
(6) Kilinochchi Trade, Industrial and Agricultural Exhibition.
a. Kilinochchi Trade, Industrial and Agricultural Exhibition scheduled to be held from 12 – 14 July 2013 at Kilinochchi MahaVidyalaya with 140 stalls.
b. Logo of the Trade Fair.
(1) Agriculture – 25
(2) Fisheries – 04
(3) Animal – 02
(4) Machinery & technology – 20
(5) Education &IT – 20
(6) BDS and financial – 12
(7) Food and beverages – 05
(8) Automobile – 03
(9) Construction – 10
(10) Consumer products – 34
(11) Government – 05
7. Awareness Programmes Scheduled.
|1||Bank of Ceylon||07 May 2013||573 Brigade|
|2||Rural Development Bank||09 May 2013||652 Brigade|
|3||Seylan bank||14 May 2013||Shanthipuram16(v)
|4||National Savings Bank||16 May 2013||572 Brigade|
|5||Sampath Bank||22 May2013||653 Brigade
8. Financial Assistance of GOI for Repairs for the Damaged Business Premises in Kilinochchi.
|Scale of business||Karachchi||Kandawalai||Poonagari||Pallai||Total||Amount suggested amount per head in the proposal in Rupees||Total amount payable in Rupees|
|Micro||232||28||71||45||376||25 000||9 400 000|
|Small||183||33||17||08||241||50 000||12 050 000|
|Medium||52||00||04||00||56||100 000||5 600 000|
|Large||44||00||01||00||45||200 000||9 000 000|
|Total||718||36 050 000|
9. Trade and commerce in Kilinochchi has attained a reasonable pace. Concentration by government trading and development agencies and attraction to Kilinochchi for new ventures by private sector investors in future would certainly enhance the trading potential of Kilinochchi.