Maj Gen WWHRRVMNDKB Niyangoda RWP RSP VSV USP ndu psc
Major General Nalinda Niyangoda was born on 13th July 1969 and completed his primary and secondary education at Dharmaraja College Kandy. Upon completing secondary education, he enlisted to the Sri Lanka Army Regular Force on 20th January 1989. Having completed the basic military training, he was commissioned and posted to the Sri Lanka Armoured Corps on 5th April 1991. Subsequently, he joined the Special Forces as a young Second Lieutenant and served in the Special Forces Regiment for seven and half years.
He has served as a Squadron Commander in both Special Forces and Armoured Corps. He was also an Officer Instructor, Company Commander at the Sri Lanka Military Academy, Chief Instructor-Armoured Corps Training Centre, Second in Command of 5th Reconnaissance Regiment – Sri Lanka Armored Corps, Commander - Additional Tri Services Contingent (Consisting 200 Soldiers Sailors and Air Men) to MINUSTAH, Haiti and Commanding Officer- 10 Reinforcement Regiment of Armored Corps in Infantry role and Commanding Officer of the 4th Armoured Regiment.
He was employed in United Nations Mission in South Sudan as a Military Liaison Officer in the Field Integral Operational Centre (FIOC) during the year 2016-2017. He held appointments as the Chief Instructor and the Commanding Officer in prestigious Sri Lanka Military Academy at Diyatalawa from February 2017 to February 2018. Subsequently, he commanded 511 infantry Brigade and 512 infantry Brigade from February 2018 to July 2019. He was then appointed as Assistant Military Secretary 3 and Assistant Military Secretary 2 from July 2019 to August 2020 at Military Secretary’s Branch, Army Headquarters. Finally, he served in one of the most prestigious appointments a Sri Lankan Army Officer can serve as the Commandant of the Sri Lanka Military Academy which conducts Military training for local and foreign Lady and Gentleman Officer Cadets.
Being elevated to the rank of Major General, he was entrusted with the responsibilities of commanding a higher field formation where he was appointed as General Officer Commanding 54 Infantry Division in Mannar. In appreciation of the competent and loyal service, he was appointed as Commander Security Force (Central) in year 2023.
He has followed a number of overseas and local Military courses during his career including;
- Commando Course, Belgaum- India
- Basic Parachute Course, Parachute Training School, Agra, India
- Young Officer’s Course, School of Armoured and Mechanized warfare- Pakistan
- Radio Instructor Course, School of Armor, India
- Passed Staff College (psc) – Army Command and Staff College, Sri Lanka (2003)
- Mid-career Course, School of Armoured and Mechanized warfare – Pakistan
- Battle Group Commanders Course, School of Armor, India
- Advance Instructor Course in International Humanitarian Law and Human Right (IHL and HR) by ICRC and HR Council, Sri Lanka IHL and HR Instructor Refresher Seminar by Australian high commission and Kotelawala Defense University
- VIP Protection and Special Tactics Seminar in Jordan Royal Army Special Forces Training Centre, Kingdom of Jordan
- Peace Keeping Seminar, Centre for United Nations Peace Keeping/ICRC, India
- Potential Staff Officers Course, Global Peace Operation Initiative, United States Pacific Region
- Civil Military cooperation module (Disaster and Recovery) – US Special Operations Command – Pacific
- Instructors Course, Global Peace Operation Initiative, United States Pacific Region
- National Security and War Studies (ndu) – National Defence University, Pakistan (2020/2021) In addition to the above military courses, he has followed many Professional Courses such as;
- Advances Course in Geographical Information System and applications- PGIS University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- Diploma in Technology in Quantity surveying-Technical Education and Vocational Training Institute, Kandy, Sri Lanka Media and Communication - Sripalee Campus ,University of Colombo, Sri Lanka Apart from the above qualifications he has earned,
- Doctor of Philosophy (Disaster Management) – University of Sorbon, France (2022)
- Masters of Science (Disaster Management) – Post Graduate Institute of Science (PGIS), University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (2015/2017)
- Masters of Science (National Security and War Studies) –National Defence University, Pakistan (2020/2021)
Major General Nalinda Niyangoda was awarded with several Gallantry awards and Decorations for the Act of Bravery during the Humanitarian Operations in Sri Lanka including RANA WIKRAMA PADAKKAMA (RWP), RANA SHOORA PADAKKAMA (RSP) for consecutive five times, UTHTHAMA SEWA PADAKKAMA (USP) for unblemished service for more than 18 years and awarded VISHISTHA SEVA VIBUSHANAYA in 2023 for exceptional, distinguish and loyal service provided for more than 25 years and possess an unblemished record of moral and military conduct.
Major General Nalinda Niyangoda RWP RSP VSV USP ndu psc counts over 34 years loyal and dedicated service in the Army and his illustrated career covers variety of training, operational and staff duties in several countries in multi-national, multi-lingual and multi-cultural working environment.
His interests include travelling, hiking, adventure training, and sports such as Rugby and Cricket. He is a nature lover and practitioner of realism. He is married to Dr (Eng) Himali Niyangoda and blessed with two sons, Buwaneka and Adithya.