The beginning of the Corps goes back to 29th July 1881 when stretcher bearer (Medical) company was raised as a part of the Ceylon Light Infantry (Volunteers). This was commanded by Major (Surgeon) J. Tothill, a retired regular Medical Officer.
This became an independent battalion in 1911 and was called Ceylon Medical Corps (Volunteer)
After Ceylon gained independence, Ceylon Army was formed in 1949. In 1950 1st Battalion of Ceylon Army Medical Corps was created as a regular force in Ceylon Army. With this, volunteers became the second battalion.
Lt.Col H.C Serasinghe OBE was the first Commanding Officer of the Regular Medical Corps. There were 3 officers and 20 other ranks at the beginning. Same year former British Military Hospital of the Royal Army Medical Corps in Colombo was opened as a medical reception station with 10 beds. Very soon this was upgraded to a 30 bed service hospital. Same time a Medical Reception Station (MRS) was opened in Diyathalawa Garrison, later which was upgraded to a Base Hospital.
The Corps was renamed as Sri Lanka Army Medical Corps in 1972 when Sri Lanka became a republic. In 1983 medical reception station in Palaly, Jaffna was made an Army Base Hospital as does the MRS at Panagoda Cantonment.
Military Hospital Colombo was expanded with a new wing in 1988. Soon followed the building of rehabilitation institute ‘Ranaviru Sevana’ at Ragama.
Regimental Centre SLAMC was established at Army Headquarters premises on 15th January 1990 and temporarily shifted to Army Cantonment, Panagoda in August 2005 following bomb attack inside the AHQ premises. A land space of 31 acres in Werahera acquired for permanent construction for RHQ SLAMC and on 15th October 2015 shifted to the new premises with minimum facilities. Turning into a new era newly constructed RHQ office complex at Werahera ceremonially opened on 15th January 2018 by the Col Comdt.
Military Hospital, Anuradhapura was established in 1997 to treat soldiers in Vanni Sector.
3rd Battalion of Sri Lanka Army Medical Corps was formed in 1999 in Anuradhapura. In 2001 Army Nurses Training School was established at Anuradhapura.
4th Battalion of Sri Lanka Army Medical Corps was formed in November 2007 at Panagoda and later transferred to a permanent dwelling in Jaffna.
5th Battalion of Sri Lanka Army Medical Corps was formed in April 2010 at Panagoda. In December 2010 unit was given a permanent acreage in Habarana.
At present Sri Lanka Army Medical Corps have four regular unit and one volunteer unit.
New Colonel Commandant appointed in May 2020 Brigadier PAC Ferando USP is the 11th Colonel Commandant of the Sri Lanka Army Medical Corps.
Present Centre Commandant is Brigadier TM Hettiarachchi RSP